Monday, April 28, 2014

More Blessed to Receive and To Give

Although the title of this blog seems odd you will soon discover the meaning. For if it weren’t for receiving there would be no money to give.

With growing interest in awareness for Turner syndrome I was approached by a young lady by the name of Danielle who asked me a question I could not ignore or explain away, “Have you ever thought about providing a gala to raise funds for Leaping Butterfly Ministry to do bigger and better things?” “A gala? Me?,” I exclaimed and within 2 months a gala was planned with 800 invitations mailed for a country club that only seats 200. 
I found myself in the same crisis as I did when I first published my book, ‘Loving a Leaping Butterfly’, with 2 questions plaguing my mind: What if you only sell one book? What if you sell one million books? So it was with the gala should no one support the gala. I had to leave the results to the Lord.

God, once again, proved to me that He is always in control as my questions have nothing to do with His sovereignty and for a first time gala, for a ministry and condition not many have heard of, there were 115 in attendance. Statistics state to have 30 for a first time event would have broken records yet we clearly surpassed that figure. Not only with attendance, but with giving as well.

Ten incredible woman came to my side to form a gala committee, local merchants donated over and above what we could ever expect, friends bought tickets for the tables then gave generously at the event. Laughs and smiles could be heard all over the club, as every little tiny fear of putting an event together in just weeks melted away into a time of great glory.

The event raised $32,000, expenses for the event have been paid, money is available to have a bigger event next year, and two checks were given to the Turner Syndrome Society of the United States. One check presented to them was for $4,000 for research plus $3,120 for 12 scholarships for TS women to attend the TSSUS summer conference in Jacksonville, Florida. These women have never attended a conference before in their lives.
Goals for next year are to double the gala attendance and giving as we now enjoy the status with the IRS as a Public Charity. LBM looks forward to continue bringing awareness and support to over 80,000 girls and women in the United States alone. What a testimony it has been to me, and many others, as we watch people get excited to give and then receive. So awesome to be the conduit.

Acts 20:35 says, “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
And, 2 Corinthians 9:7 says, “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
 
Debbie Browne presents to TSSUS the 2 checks. 
Pictured from left to right: Debbie Browne, Cindy Scurlock,
and Deborah Rios. 

1 comment:

  1. Rejoicing with you, Debbie, and all those who were part of making the first gala a wild success.
    Much Love,
    Patti Hayes

    ReplyDelete